Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Cooler, Cooler set-up...

Here's some craftiness....

We all know the saying "it's not if I go off track, it's when"...

With that in mind I decided I wanted a front mount oil cooler set-up. Most of the prefabbed kits are ludicrous in prices, so I made my own DIY kit with the following.

- Earls 25 row oil cooler
- (3) 90 degree -8 AN fittings
- (1) -8 straight fitting
- (2) -8 to NPT adapters 
- 6ft twist-tite -8 hose

With the decision to make a front mount oil cooler setup, I also wanted to still utilize the OEM pusher fan to help keep water temps to a minimum. To make it work I needed to relocate the OEM power steering loop and then make/fab a new power steering cooler set up... 

Removing the front loop cooler was straight forward and easy. I replaced it with a fin type heat exchange cooler that's pretty tiny and way more efficient than stock. With its smaller size I decided to put the power steering cooler in the front right wheel well where the oil cooler use to be...


You can barely see it below the right headlight

Now for the brackets for the oil cooler. Surprisingly with simple garage tools I was able to make 'em at home and not needing anything from Road Race Engineering...




I took some measurements of distances from the radiator-to-oil cooler, and the oil cooler-to-intercooler... With the oil cooler being almost 2-1/2"in away from the radiator and a little over a 1"in from the intercooler. So I wouldn't think heat soak or radiant heat from either the radiator, oil cooler, or intercooler will effect each other...



Painted and ready for install





Next up, radiator brackets to pull the radiator closer and the tunnel ducting for all the coolers...


LEFT SIDE





RIGHT SIDE


STRAIGHT SHOT




With the simple side ducts, I've dropped an easy 20+ degrees in water temp. It's all about rammed air..


 
Enjoy...


-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment